The Times Mapping the Railways, published by Times Books in October 2011, is the most comprehensive collection of British railway maps to date. Charting the rich history of Britain’s railways from 1819 to the present day, this fascinating compendium shows how trains have played an essential part in British life for nearly 200 years.
|Mapping The Railways|
Throughout this engaging book is a series of 'milepost' features on key events, eras and personalities in the history of Britain’s railways. From the enormous role the railways played in the World Wars to modern events, like the opening of the Channel Tunnel, this extensive book shows you how British history is firmly tied to the railways.
The Times Mapping the Railways will appeal to railway enthusiasts, historians and general interest readers alike.
· Historical and modern rail network maps
· Extracts from Ordnance Survey sheets
· Plans for proposed railway schemes
· Track diagrams and official reports
· Pictorial maps, posters and ephemera
· Cartography by Bartholomew, Airey, Bradshaw and many others
Pivotal events in railway history:
· The nineteenth century saw the foundations laid for our modern railway network, with huge building projects constructing thousands of miles of track, bridges and tunnels
· Expansion slowed in the early twentieth century as competition from the car and the lorry began to bite
· Railways made an enormous contribution to the World Wars, then underwent massive re-equipment after nationalization
· Drastic change followed the 'Beeching Report' of 1963, which advocated closure of underused rail lines
· The modern era has seen an expansion of the network again, with the building of the Channel Tunnel and the re-opening of a significant number of lines closed under the 'Beeching axe', many as heritage railways.
About the Authors:
Specialist railway author, photographer and enthusiast, whose recent titles include The Lost Joy of Railways, The Lost Lines of Britain, Steaming Across Britain and three volumes of Amazing & Extraordinary Railway Facts.
Rail consultant by profession, a geographer by background, and a railway enthusiast since childhood. Currently writing Waverley Route: The Life, Death & Re-Birth of the Borders Railway.
The Times Mapping the Railways
Published Thursday 29th September 2011Hardback ¦ ISBN: 978-0-00-743599-9¦ RRP £30